The Hindustan Ambassador's Journey
The Hindustan Ambassador, fondly known as the King of Roads in India, is one of the only cars in the country that is loved by one and all. It is extravagant history and importance is well known across the world, such is the magnanimity of the beloved Amby. Though recent reports claimed that Hindustan Motors has ceased the Ambassador's production, the company has made it abundantly clear that it has suspended its production only temporarily, quite unlike what is being reported. Well, we couldn't have been happier for we are not ready to bid farewell to this iconic car just yet.
Considering how the HM Ambassador played an important role in our nation's history, we thought we'll take you through its journey, just to keep the spirit going. Produced by Morris Motors Limited in the UK, Amby drew inspiration from the old Morris Oxford Series III, which has been in production since 1957. In India, the then Morris 10 took form as Hindustan 10 at the company's plant in Port Okha, Gujarat. The production was shifted to Uttarpara, West Bengal in 1948. Six years later, HM obtained the license for the Morris Oxford Series II, and rolled out the Hindustan Landmaster in 1957.
About the part where I said it was of importance to the nation's history, a total of 16% of Amby's sales came from the Government since it was the go-to car for most politicians and bureaucrats. Another feather in the HM Ambassador's hat was the title of the best taxi in the world awarded by Top Gear in 2013.
Car Tools And Services
- Auto Expo 2016: 7 Things You Should Not Miss Out On Feb 06, 2016
- Auto Expo 2016: 79,000 Visitors On the First Day Feb 06, 2016
- Exclusive: Benelli TRK 502 to Be Priced Between 6-6.5 Lakh in India Feb 05, 2016
- Auto Expo 2016: Audi Displays 'Signature' prologue Concept Car Feb 05, 2016
- Tata KITE 5 Debuts at the Auto Expo; to Sit Below Zest in Line-Up Feb 05, 2016
- Auto Expo 2016: Top 10 Bikes Feb 05, 2016
- BMW X5 M Sport Launched; Priced at 75.90 Lakh Feb 05, 2016
- CNB Auto Expo Awards for Excellence 2016: Winners Feb 05, 2016
- Auto Expo 2016: Top 10 Cars Feb 05, 2016
- Mahindra's First Concept Car at the Auto Expo, XUV Aero, Unveiled Feb 05, 2016
- Auto Expo 2016: Day 2 Highlights - Renault Duster Automatic Revealed, Maruti Baleno RS, Ignis and Mahindra XUV Aero Concepts Showcased and More Feb 05, 2016
- Auto Expo 2016: New Toyota Prius Unveiled in India Feb 05, 2016
- Volkswagen Does Not Comply with Indian Emission Norms, Says Anant Geete Feb 04, 2016
- Auto Expo 2016: Indian Roadmaster Unveiled Feb 04, 2016
- 2016 Auto Expo: India bound Honda BR-V SUV Revealed; Launch Later This Year Feb 04, 2016