The Hindustan Ambassador's Journey
The Hindustan Ambassador, fondly known as the King of Roads in India, is one of the only cars in the country that is loved by one and all. It is extravagant history and importance is well known across the world, such is the magnanimity of the beloved Amby. Though recent reports claimed that Hindustan Motors has ceased the Ambassador's production, the company has made it abundantly clear that it has suspended its production only temporarily, quite unlike what is being reported. Well, we couldn't have been happier for we are not ready to bid farewell to this iconic car just yet.
Considering how the HM Ambassador played an important role in our nation's history, we thought we'll take you through its journey, just to keep the spirit going. Produced by Morris Motors Limited in the UK, Amby drew inspiration from the old Morris Oxford Series III, which has been in production since 1957. In India, the then Morris 10 took form as Hindustan 10 at the company's plant in Port Okha, Gujarat. The production was shifted to Uttarpara, West Bengal in 1948. Six years later, HM obtained the license for the Morris Oxford Series II, and rolled out the Hindustan Landmaster in 1957.
About the part where I said it was of importance to the nation's history, a total of 16% of Amby's sales came from the Government since it was the go-to car for most politicians and bureaucrats. Another feather in the HM Ambassador's hat was the title of the best taxi in the world awarded by Top Gear in 2013.
Car Tools And Services
- Volkswagen India to Recall 3.23 Lakh Cars Dec 01, 2015
- Renault India Registers 144% Growth in November Dec 01, 2015
- Audi Q7 India Launch on December 10, 2015 Dec 01, 2015
- New-Gen Mercedes-Benz A-Class to Launch in India on December 8 Dec 01, 2015
- 2017 Porsche 911 Turbo and Turbo S Unveiled Dec 01, 2015
- Maruti Suzuki Baleno Bookings Average 1000 Units/ Day Dec 01, 2015
- Maruti Suzuki to Double Sales Network by 2020 Dec 01, 2015
- Report: New Ford Endeavour Launch in January, 2016 Dec 01, 2015
- Hyundai Launches Traffic Safety Campaign in India Dec 01, 2015
- How to Change an Engine Air Filter Nov 30, 2015
- Maruti Suzuki Celerio Gets Optional ABS and Airbags Nov 30, 2015
- Lamborghini Charts Road Map for India Nov 30, 2015
- Tata Zica Revealed; Launch in January 2016 Nov 30, 2015
- Ferrari Returns to India With New Dealers Nov 30, 2015
- National Green Tribunal Issues Notice to Government and Volkswagen India Nov 30, 2015