The Hindustan Ambassador's Journey
The Hindustan Ambassador, fondly known as the King of Roads in India, is one of the only cars in the country that is loved by one and all. It is extravagant history and importance is well known across the world, such is the magnanimity of the beloved Amby. Though recent reports claimed that Hindustan Motors has ceased the Ambassador's production, the company has made it abundantly clear that it has suspended its production only temporarily, quite unlike what is being reported. Well, we couldn't have been happier for we are not ready to bid farewell to this iconic car just yet.
Considering how the HM Ambassador played an important role in our nation's history, we thought we'll take you through its journey, just to keep the spirit going. Produced by Morris Motors Limited in the UK, Amby drew inspiration from the old Morris Oxford Series III, which has been in production since 1957. In India, the then Morris 10 took form as Hindustan 10 at the company's plant in Port Okha, Gujarat. The production was shifted to Uttarpara, West Bengal in 1948. Six years later, HM obtained the license for the Morris Oxford Series II, and rolled out the Hindustan Landmaster in 1957.
About the part where I said it was of importance to the nation's history, a total of 16% of Amby's sales came from the Government since it was the go-to car for most politicians and bureaucrats. Another feather in the HM Ambassador's hat was the title of the best taxi in the world awarded by Top Gear in 2013.
Car Tools And Services
- Bajaj V15 Sells Over 1 Lakh Units; Production to Be Ramped Up Soon - NDTV CarAndBike
- 2017 Honda CBR250RR Officially Revealed in Indonesia - NDTV CarAndBike
- Honda Navi is gaining popularity. Find all the details here.
- Over 173 people are looking to book Bajaj V15. Book yours today!
- Artist Designs a Lifelike Model of a Car Crash Proof Human Body - NDTV CarAndBike
- Jeep to Begin India Operations Soon; Launch Details Revealed Jul 26, 2016
- Bajaj V15 Sells Over 1 Lakh Units; Production to Be Ramped Up Soon Jul 26, 2016
- 2017 Honda CBR250RR Officially Revealed in Indonesia Jul 26, 2016
- Yamaha Establishes Second R&D Centre in India Jul 26, 2016
- Artist Designs a Lifelike Model of a Car Crash Proof Human Body Jul 26, 2016
- Ford EcoSport Facelift Spied Testing in Europe Jul 26, 2016
- Mercedes-AMG SLC 43 Launched at 77.50 Lakh Jul 26, 2016
- Renault Lodgy World Edition Launched at 9.74 Lakh Jul 26, 2016
- Audi Q7 Petrol Imported to India for Homologation Jul 26, 2016
- Italian Court Declares Benelli as Bankrupt; Company Argues Otherwise Jul 26, 2016
- Audi Plans to Launch 3 Electric Vehicles By 2020 Jul 26, 2016
- Exclusive: 4th Generation Suzuki Jimny likely to Be Made in India Jul 25, 2016
- Hyundai Creta Petrol Automatic: All You Need to Know Jul 25, 2016
- Skoda Kodiaq SUV's Global Premiere Date Revealed Jul 25, 2016
- Volkswagen Ameo Deliveries Commence Across India Jul 25, 2016