Does Your Car Overheat When The AC Is On? - Symptoms, Causes and Solutions Guide
By Carandbike Team
1 mins read
Published on January 24, 2022
The air conditioner in your car is a lifesaver on scorching summer days. However, it can be a real bummer if operating an air-con is causing your vehicle to overheat.
You might be curious to understand the causes behind this particular issue to find an ideal solution. Along with the symptoms and reasons behind car overheating when the AC is one, this guide also gives you the perfect solutions!
What Are the Symptoms?
How do you know that the car is overheating with the AC on? Here are the common signs that indicate car overheating:
- The car physically feels hot.
- In case you hear ticking sounds from the engine compartment.
- Engine shutdown is another symptom.
- If the engine emits a strange “hot” odour.
- A sluggish car that fails to maintain the speed levels.
- A cloud of steam emanating from under the car's hood.
Why Is My Car Overheating When AC is On?
Now that you are aware of the overheating symptoms, you might be wondering about the causes. Let's explain the reasons behind car overheating when AC is on!
- The AC compressor is putting more load on the engine.
- There can be interferences and blockages within the radiator's internal pipes.
- The cooling fan is facing some defects.
- Your car's engine coolant is not signalling the control module properly.
- The condenser or water pump of the cooling system is incompetent.
How to Fix It
It's time to fix that overheating issue so that you can enjoy the chilled air without any worries. Follow these simple fixes:
- Air Pressure Gauge Installation: You need to install an air pressure gauge to monitor air inflow. You can fix the air pressure gauge on any of the radiators.
- Add More Water to Radiator: You should never leave the radiator of your car air con dry. One tip would be to use distilled water instead of tap water for this purpose.
- Flush the Coolant System: By flushing the coolant system, you'll be getting rid of dirt, salts, rust, and other corrosive substances. Regular inspection of the coolant system will help you discover underlying issues timely.
- Clean the Radiator: Cleaning the radiator will remove any blockages restricting the airflow passage. Also, use a radiator testing kit to inspect the leakages.
- Replace Coolant Mixture: You need to replace the coolant mixture every two years or 40,000 km. Ensure that you pick a coolant mixture with the right concentration.
If your car is overheating and you notice the symptoms mentioned earlier, treat your vehicle with our fix-it guide!
Great Deals on Used CarsView All Used Cars
- 22,376 km
- 47,549 km
- 76,000 km
- 76,000 km
- 62,500 km
- 81,000 km
- 85,000 km
- 45,028 km
- 41,000 km
- 80,000 km
-18773 second ago
The motorcycle is powered by a 457 cc parallel-twin engine that churns out 47 bhp of max power
-17234 second ago
Tata Motors will extend the vehicle warranty of customers affected by Cyclone Michaung, while the company is taking additional measures to improve accessibility to service their vehicles
-10372 second ago
Along with monetary aid, Hyundai Motor India Foundation is also working with the state government to delivery emergency relief and essential commodities
-9452 second ago
The carmaker said that rising input costs necessitated the revision in pricing.
-6156 second ago
Jawa Yezdi motorcycles is holding a mega service camp in Cochin, Kerala from December 14-17 for owners to get free check-ups
-4504 second ago
American-owned Trackhouse, led by Justin Marks and musician Pitbull, to replace RNF on the starting grid for 2024.
-2963 second ago
Porsche AG’s Leipzig plant rolled out its two millionth vehicle recently, a new-gen Panamera Turbo E-Hybrid, which is now heading to its owner in Dubai
-526 second ago
The Toyota Supra GT4 100th Edition Tribute will be limited to just 100 units and get a new GR Supra GT4 Evo racecar-inspired livery along with Gazoo Racing accessories
15 hours ago
The new video shows the subcompact SUV’s redesigned tail section and confirms that it will get ADAS functions
16 hours ago
The Mercedes-AMG CLE 53 4MATIC+ Coupe has an upgraded 3.0-litre inline six-cylinder turbo engine producing 442 bhp and 560 Nm torque.
9 days ago
Prices will be increased by up to 2 per cent owing to rising input costs.
11 days ago
The last Tourist Trophy left the halls of the Gyor factory, ending its iconic 25 year run.
15 days ago
Under this initiative, Hyundai states that all its dealerships across India will be wheelchair-accessible by February 2024
16 days ago
44 jury members representing 19 countries assessed and voted on 17 eligible vehicles competing in the 2024 World Car Awards
16 days ago
The new Mercedes-AMG C 43 is bolder, more powerful and promises to offer better performance than its predecessor, despite having a smaller engine. So, can it live up to those claims? Let’s find out!