F1: Strategy Group Votes Against Halo Head Protection System For 2017
Sameer Contractor
1 min read
Jul 29, 2016, 05:57 PM

Key Highlights
- The Strategy Group negated the idea of introducing the Halo in 2017
- The Strategy Group comprises 6 top team, Ecclestone and FIA President
- The Halo system is designed by Ferrari and is a titanium arc
Even though Formula One is a lot safer as a sport than ever, the fact still remains that drivers are risking their lives every time they get into the cockpit to touch speeds in excess of 300 km/h. Falling on the same lines, the latest technology to come in place for driver safety is the long debated 'Halo' head protection concept. While the Halo concept received a thumbs up from most drivers after months of testing and even the FIA's approval to be introduced in the 2017 season, Formula One chiefs have now voted against the protection system being introduced next year after a meeting of the Strategy Group in Geneva earlier this week.
A detailed presentation was also given to drivers at the Hungarian Grand Prix earlier this season, in order to explain the benefits of a Halo, and a similar amount of information was supplied to teams ahead of the Geneva meeting. The Strategy Group is made up of six top teams, F1 Boss Bernie Ecclestone and FIA President Jean Todt. While FIA was in favour of the head protection system, the Strategy Group showed no such support at the Geneva meeting and instead said that more time was needed to evaluate all potential solutions. If approved, the Halo system would've gone for ratification to the F1 Commission for its debut next season.
What is a Halo? A head protection system that essentially looks like a giant roll bar-like arc made out of titanium mounted around the cockpit. The system has been developed by Ferrari and was first introduced during winter testing in February this year. The newer versions of the Halo arc have been made wider to negate the risk of the driver hitting his head on the Halo. Red Bull, in particular, has been sceptical about the introduction of Halo and instead, has preferred the self-developed Aeroscreen instead, which could be one of the possibilities in cockpit protection system.
That said, post the meeting, FIA issued a statement stating that Halo remains a strong option and more tests will be carried out in the following practice sessions. While a lot of the senior and older drivers have been in favour of the system, several young drivers have spoken against the safety system. Ferrari driver and Senior drivers' representative Sebastian Vettel, who also present at the Strategy Group meeting supported the concept saying "nothing justifies death". The system could still be introduced for the 2018 campaign after the stakeholders "agreed unanimously" that cockpit protection will be introduced onto F1 cars from the season after next.
A detailed presentation was also given to drivers at the Hungarian Grand Prix earlier this season, in order to explain the benefits of a Halo, and a similar amount of information was supplied to teams ahead of the Geneva meeting. The Strategy Group is made up of six top teams, F1 Boss Bernie Ecclestone and FIA President Jean Todt. While FIA was in favour of the head protection system, the Strategy Group showed no such support at the Geneva meeting and instead said that more time was needed to evaluate all potential solutions. If approved, the Halo system would've gone for ratification to the F1 Commission for its debut next season.
What is a Halo? A head protection system that essentially looks like a giant roll bar-like arc made out of titanium mounted around the cockpit. The system has been developed by Ferrari and was first introduced during winter testing in February this year. The newer versions of the Halo arc have been made wider to negate the risk of the driver hitting his head on the Halo. Red Bull, in particular, has been sceptical about the introduction of Halo and instead, has preferred the self-developed Aeroscreen instead, which could be one of the possibilities in cockpit protection system.
That said, post the meeting, FIA issued a statement stating that Halo remains a strong option and more tests will be carried out in the following practice sessions. While a lot of the senior and older drivers have been in favour of the system, several young drivers have spoken against the safety system. Ferrari driver and Senior drivers' representative Sebastian Vettel, who also present at the Strategy Group meeting supported the concept saying "nothing justifies death". The system could still be introduced for the 2018 campaign after the stakeholders "agreed unanimously" that cockpit protection will be introduced onto F1 cars from the season after next.
Latest News
car&bike Team | Feb 21, 2026Norton Atlas Spotted Testing In India Once AgainThe spied model appears to be the base version of the mid-capacity adventure tourer.1 min read
car&bike Team | Feb 21, 20262026 Tata Punch EV Facelift: Variants, Features, Prices ExplainedThe Punch EV facelift is offered in six variants and with two battery pack options. Here is a rundown of what each variant has to offer.1 min read
car&bike Team | Feb 20, 2026Production-Ready Royal Enfield Flying Flea C6 Spotted On TestTest mules of the Flying Flea C6 have been spotted sans camouflage.2 mins read
Jaiveer Mehra | Feb 20, 2026New Audi RS5 Debuts With 630 bhp V6 PHEV PowertrainThe RS5 features a twin-turbo 2.9-litre V6 paired with an electric motor and a 25.9 kWh battery and offers over 80 km of EV-only driving.1 min read
Jaiveer Mehra | Feb 20, 2026Tata Punch EV Facelift Launched In India; Prices Start From Rs 9.69 LakhNotable changes to the Punch EV include faster DC fast charging and larger battery packs.3 mins read
Jaiveer Mehra | Feb 20, 2026Level 2 ADAS Systems To Be Mainstay Of Auto IndustryUse of Level 2+ ADAS technologies to gain popularity in the coming year and overtake the basic Level 2 system by 20354 mins read
Girish Karkera | Feb 20, 2026Road Test: 2025 VinFast VF7 AWD Sky InfinityFlagship all-electric SUV from the Vietnamese car maker gets most of the basics right.1 min read
Jaiveer Mehra | Feb 18, 2026New BMW X3 30 Vs Mercedes-Benz GLC 300: Midsize Luxury SUV FaceoffWith the new X3 30, BMW has a direct competitor to the petrol GLC 300, but which is the luxury SUV for you?1 min read
Jafar Rizvi | Feb 15, 2026Maruti Suzuki Victoris: Long-Term Review - Report 1The Victoris is Maruti’s latest offering for the Indian market, and after spending some time with it, here are a few early impressions.1 min read
Bilal Firfiray | Feb 12, 2026BMW X3 30 xDrive M Sport Review: The Driver’s SUV ReturnsRange-toppingX3 30 xDrive M Sport brings back the fun with 255bhp and genuine enthusiast appeal. Does this performance-focused SUV stand out?5 mins read
Bilal Firfiray | Feb 11, 2026Mercedes-AMG CLE 53 Coupe Review: The Goldilocks AMG?The Mercedes-AMG CLE 53 Coupe is a concoction of hooliganistic performance and everyday usability. Here’s why this Rs 1.5 crore two-door AMG might be the perfect modern sports coupe for India.6 mins read























































































































