7 Things To Avoid While Buying A Used Car
By Seshan Vijayraghvan
1 mins read
Published on May 8, 2021
- Don't go into it blindly, decide what kind of car do you need
- Not inspecting the car properly before buying is something you must avoid
- Not checking the car's history is also a mistake you must avoid making
Planning to buy a car? Well, you can either go for a brand new vehicle or buy a used car. Frankly, the latter is the more practical and economical option, and we have already given you seven reasons explaining why. You can read all about it on the carandbike website. However, if you have already read our story and have decided to go for a pre-owned vehicle, or you were simply planning to do that, to begin with, it is important to know what 'NOT' to do before you understand what needs to be done. So, here are seven things you must avoid when buying a used car.
- Don't go into it blindly. If you start looking for a car without deciding what you actually want, you might end with a car that does not match your needs. Believe us you don't want to end up with the wrong car. First and foremost, decide why you are buying a car and what do you need it for. Do you simply want a daily driver? Or a family car? Or something for fun activities like road trips or touring, depending on that you can either get a hatchback or a sedan, an MPV, or an SUV.
Also Read: 6 Cars You Should Consider Buying From the Used Car Market
- Next, there is the budget. Looking for a used car without finalising a budget is also a big NO-NO. It is another common mistake and you'll either end up confused about your choices or worse, with the wrong car. Get your priorities straight and decide what you want to spend before even start looking for a used car. Of course, if you find that right car, in the best possible condition, and you can go over budget then surely go for it. Otherwise, try and find the best possible option within your stipulated budget.
- Not inspecting the car properly before buying is also something you must avoid at all cost. From the outside, the car might look in mint condition but it's always possible the mechanicals are not in good condition. Ask for a proper test drive of at least 10 km. If you know a trusted mechanic take them along and let them have a look and give you an assessment before you make the decision.
- You must also avoid buying a used car without checking the odometer and other gauges of the car. Check if there any evidence of tampering (scratches, cracks) in and around the odometer. If you see signs of tampering of the gauges, or the cars condition and the odometer reading don't match, then it is probably best to walk away from the deal.
- Not checking the history of the car is also a mistake you must avoid making. If you are buying the car from an organised seller, like Maruti Suzuki True Value or Mahindra First Choice, they will usually have the records for you to verify. If you are purchasing the vehicle from an individual seller/owner, ask about the history of the car and check all documents, especially if it has had past owners. You can even check for past accident claims and records using the insurance number as they on the public domain.
- Avoid going for long-term finance options. If you are getting a pre-owned vehicle, it's always advisable to buy it by making a full payment instead of taking a loan. Used cars are usually way cheaper than a brand new version of the same model, sometimes even 50 per cent cheaper than a new vehicle, so it's probably best to save up and buy it in one shot. On average you'll probably own a used vehicle for about 4-6 years maximum before replacing it, and you don't want to spend most of that period making monthly instalments. Do you? Of course, if that's not financially possible then try to get the least possible loan tenure and find the best possible interest rates. For used cars, the ROI is much higher.
Also Read: Used Car Loan: 7 Things You Need To Know
- Do not pay the entire money upfront. You must know when to pay. Pay a small token amount to fix the deal but do not transfer the entire amount before you have thoroughly checked the car and the paperwork. Verify the Sellers' Credentials before making the payment, and make sure you can drive away once you have made the final payment, especially if you are dealing with a private seller/owner. If it's a dealer then you'll probably go through the same process as when buying a new car.
Last Updated on May 8, 2021
Great Deals on Used CarsView All Used Cars
- 9,800 km
- 46,630 km
- 17,459 km
- 53,232 km
- 29,000 km
- 32,400 km
- 85,500 km
- 73,810 km
- 36,800 km
- 65,400 km
-3537 second ago
The ministry aims to introduce free medical treatment for injured accident victims in the next three to four months
-1917 second ago
Greaves Electric Mobility has collaborated with Kedia Organisation and is setting up its first dealership in Teku, Kathmandu
-1099 second ago
With the launch slated for 2024, the Lamborghini Urus PHEV was spotted testing at the gruelling Nurburgring race track.
-702 second ago
The Urban SUV concept is the first in a line of 6 EVs, which the company says will be revealed toward the first half of 2024
48 minutes ago
CFMoto revealed a new mid-size in-line triple engine at EICMA 2023 and now the specifications of the engine have been revealed.
2 hours ago
India Kawasaki is all set to revive a popular motorcycle name at the upcoming India Bike Week 2023. Hint! It is likely to be a cruiser motorcycle, that was on sale in India many years ago.
4 hours ago
The Mercedes-Maybach GLS 600 was gifted to the actor by her husband, Vignesh Shivan on her birthday
4 hours ago
Hyundai has presented the Ioniq 5 to Shah Rukh Khan to commemorate the 25-year-long association with the brand. It will be the first electric vehicle in his car collection.
6 hours ago
The recall, initiated due to concerns over the manufacturing of certain components, aims to inspect and replace the affected parts
23 hours ago
Prices for the Aprilia RS 457 could be announced at India Bike Week 2023, while deliveries are likely to begin from early 2024 onwards
2 months ago
If you are in the market, or on the internet, looking for a good used vehicle right now, then here are 6 cars that you should consider buying.
2 months ago
The used car market in India is significantly larger than the new car market. Even then, there are a few myths that surround buying a used car model.
2 months ago
The used car market can be a very practical and economical starting point to enter the luxury car space. So, if you are planning to buy a used luxury car, here are some pros and cons that you should know about.
5 months ago
Buyers of used cars have no dearth of options, but it’s crucial to zero in on the vehicle type that best suits your needs.
5 months ago
Planning to buy a used car? Here are some key features that you should look for one.