F1 2017: Carlo Sainz Jr Loaned To Renault For 2018 By Red Bull

- Carlos Sainz Jr will join Nico Hulkenberg at Renault Sport F1 team
- Jolyon Palmer will race with Renault till the end of this season
- Renault will supply engines to McLaren & Honda to Torro Rosso in 2018
Amidst the McLaren-Honda split and the subsequent partnership announcements made earlier today; Torro Rosso driver Carlos Sainz Jr has also been confirmed to make his way to Renault Sport F1 team for the 2018 season. However, the 23-year-old will be on loan from Red Bull to Renault for a single year and will partner with Nico Hulkenberg for the next season. This means that Renault's current driver Jolyon Palmer will be ending his term with Renault this season after two seasons.
Also Read: Formula One Might Return To India Soon
Speaking on confirming Sainz, Renault Sport Racing - Managing Director, Cyril Abiteboul said, "It is positive news for us to be able to confirm Carlos for 2018. This choice is well aligned with our mid-term strategic plans. We feel that Nico and Carlos will complement each other on and off track and the combination should help us push forward on the grid. Carlos Sainz is a very promising driver who has been on our radar for some time, especially after his successes in Renault junior formulae."
"We must thank Jolyon for his ongoing hard work with the team and his efforts over the past two seasons. He is a dedicated driver and we wish him the best in the next steps of his career."
Carlos Sainz Jr has 53 Grand Prix starts to his credit and has scored 100 points with a best finish of sixth place. There has been no confirmation though if Sainz will be heading back to Torro Rosso in 2019.

(Carlos Sainz Jr will continue driving for Torro Rosso till the end of this season)
Speaking about his new team, Sainz said, "The trajectory of Renault Sport Formula One Team is exciting and I'm proud to join at such an important time in their history. I am looking forward to working with everyone at Enstone and Viry, and driving alongside Nico Hulkenberg."
Also Read: McLaren Honda Split Officially Confirmed
The negotiations were happening for the past couple of weeks with F1's new boss Liberty Media at the helm of it. "We are pleased that the teams and constructors involved in these intensive and complex discussions have reached an agreement satisfactory to all concerned," commented Chase Carey, Chairman and CEO, Formula 1. "We had put ourselves at the disposal of the various parties to try and facilitate the best possible outcome for everyone."
The rather complex deals seem to have worked in everyone's favour apart from Palmer. Honda has got extended period to prove its mettle while McLaren might just get its competitiveness back with Renault's power unit. Sainz too described his switch to Renault as an honour to drive for a manufacturer team.
Latest News
car&bike Team | Feb 19, 2026KTM 390, 250 Adventure Offered With Free Accessories And 10-Year Extended WarrantyThis limited-run scheme is offered until February 28 on both motorcycles.2 mins read
Jaiveer Mehra | Feb 19, 2026Volkswagen Tayron Launched In India at Rs 46.99 LakhThe Tayron is essentially the successor to the now-discontinued Tiguan Allspace and features three rows of seating.1 min read
car&bike Team | Feb 19, 2026Hyundai Exter Facelift Spied In South KoreaThe Exter facelift was spotted testing in India earlier this year.2 mins read
Bilal Firfiray | Feb 19, 2026Tata Punch EV Facelift To Be Launched Tomorrow: What To Expect?Launched in 2024, the Punch EV is due for a major update. And more than cosmetic changes, it will have some skin-deep updates too.1 min read
car&bike Team | Feb 18, 2026Kia Seltos Achieves 6 Lakh Unit Sales MilestoneThe Seltos was Kia’s first product in India, having been launched in August 2019.2 mins read
Bilal Firfiray | Feb 18, 2026Maruti Suzuki e-Vitara Full Price List Revealed, Starts At Rs 15.99 LakhYesterday, the BaaS (battery as a service) pricing was out. Now Maruti has given the non-BaaS pricing of the all-new e-Vitara2 mins read
Jaiveer Mehra | Feb 18, 2026New BMW X3 30 Vs Mercedes-Benz GLC 300: Midsize Luxury SUV FaceoffWith the new X3 30, BMW has a direct competitor to the petrol GLC 300, but which is the luxury SUV for you?1 min read
Jafar Rizvi | Feb 15, 2026Maruti Suzuki Victoris: Long-Term Review - Report 1The Victoris is Maruti’s latest offering for the Indian market, and after spending some time with it, here are a few early impressions.1 min read
Bilal Firfiray | Feb 12, 2026BMW X3 30 xDrive M Sport Review: The Driver’s SUV ReturnsRange-toppingX3 30 xDrive M Sport brings back the fun with 255bhp and genuine enthusiast appeal. Does this performance-focused SUV stand out?5 mins read
Bilal Firfiray | Feb 11, 2026Mercedes-AMG CLE 53 Coupe Review: The Goldilocks AMG?The Mercedes-AMG CLE 53 Coupe is a concoction of hooliganistic performance and everyday usability. Here’s why this Rs 1.5 crore two-door AMG might be the perfect modern sports coupe for India.6 mins read
Girish Karkera | Feb 11, 2026Toyota Ebella EV Review: Compact And Fun-To-Drive With The Promise Of Stress-Free AftersalesNo hiding the fact that it is a clone of the Maruti Suzuki eVitara, but the first all-electric Toyota in India is reasonably well-rounded8 mins read

















































































































