Volvo V90 Cross Country: 10 Things You Need To Know
By Seshan Vijayraghvan
1 mins read
Published on July 11, 2017
- The Volvo V90 Cross Country is the crossover derivative of the V90 wagon
- The new V90 Cross Country shares its styling cues with the S90 sedan
- The V90 Cross Country is powered by a 235 bhp, 2-litre diesel engine
The Volvo V90 Cross Country will soon be launched in India. This is the first time that a luxury crossover estate will be launched in India. The V90 Cross Country made its global debut in September 2016 and we drove the car in February this year as well. Needless to say it impressed us. Volvo Cars has based the styling and design of the V90 Cross Country on the S90 sedan. And that is not a bad thing at all. Follow our live updates from the launch event of the Volvo V90 Cross Country.
Here are 10 key things that you need to know about the all-new Volvo V90 Cross Country.
- The Cross Country suffix on Volvo Cars model denotes that it is crossover version of a regular Volvo hatchback or a sedan. In this case, the V90 Cross Country is the crossover derivative of the V90 station wagon, which itself is based on the popular Volvo S90 sedan.
- Also, Volvo says that the V90 Cross Country is the spiritual successor of the XC70 and the V70 models. The XC70 was in the final year of its production last year and the mantle has been taken over by the V90 Cross Country now.
Volvo V90 Cross Country gets the signature Thor's Hammer DRLs
- A lot of things, specifically in terms dimensions, styling and features, on the Volvo V90 Cross Country, are quite similar to the S90 sedan. This means the car is sure to satisfy all your comfort needs.
- The design language has been carried over from the S90 and some resemblance is seen thanks to the striking grille and the Thor's Hammer LED daytime running lights. The differentiating factors, however, are the more aggressive bumpers with the faux skid plate, plastic black cladding on the belt-line and brushed aluminium finished roof rails.
- Compared to the S90 sedan, which is 4963 mm long, the V90 Cross Country is slightly shorter at 4938 mm. But the V90 CC is taller at 1542 mm compared to the S90's 1433 mm height; courtesy of its SUV-like ground clearance of 210 mm. Width and wheelbase of both the cars are identical at 2019 mm and 2941 mm respectively.
The Volvo V90 Cross Country gets an impressive 210 mm ground clearance
- Like other Volvo SUVs, the V90 Cross Country gets the vertically stacked LED taillights and uses 20-inch alloy wheels that hug the wheel arches. The boot provides 590 litres of cargo space, which can be extended to 1526 litres with the rear seats folded.
- Inside, the cabin design has been carried over from the Volvo S90 complete with soft-touch materials and the massive tablet sized touchscreen infotainment system on the centre console. In the car we drove, the interior came in a dual-tone colour scheme with tan brown leather seats and an all-black dashboard. There is an abundant touch of brushed silver across the cabin to add the premium effect.
- Under the hood, the new V90 Cross Country features the same 2-litre diesel motor that does duty on the S90, but power has been uprated to 235 bhp while paired to an 8-speed automatic transmission. Peak torque is clocked at 480 Nm.
The V90 Cross Country comes with SUV-like rugged exterior styling
- Being a Cross Country, the V90 has to get an AWD system and the 5th generation Borg Warner AWD to be specific. The AWD system is assisted by different driving modes as well. At maximum, the AWD system can split the torque in a 50:50 ratio between the two axles if and when required.
- Volvo India will bring the car to India as a CBU and is aiming to sell 200 units a year. While prices were expected in the vicinity of Rs. 75 lakh (ex-showroom), it is likely that the post-GST tax slab might just make the Cross Country a little bit cheaper.
Now, the station wagon or an estate is not very new to India, but it is surely not the most desired body type either. A couple of years back Audi entered the market with its performance oriented RS6 Avant, which is the only one currently in the Indian market. While the car did impress us the same cannot be said about Audi's customers, especially because of its massive price tag, which was Rs. 1.35 Crore (ex-showroom, Delhi) at the time of its launch. Volvo, on the other hand, is keeping it simple by offering fun SUV-like performance and rugged styling coupled with sedan-like comfort and luxury features. So can the V90 CC create a liking among Indian car buyers for station wagons? Well, we surely will have to wait and see.
Great Deals on Used CarsView All Used Cars
- 66,264 km
- 49,360 km
- 2,322 km
- 42,000 km
- 74,440 km
- 67,000 km
- 70,457 km
- 21,000 km
- 40,000 km
- 55,000 km
-19686 second ago
Stellantis and Ample have already established a pilot program that will begin in Madrid, Spain, in 2024 and will be using 100 Fiat 500e EVs within Stellantis Free2move car-sharing service.
-14618 second ago
The one-off creation is mechanically identical to the standard Chiron Super Sport but features elements inspired by the Type 57 SC Atlantic such as the bespoke paint finish and chrome grille.
-9189 second ago
Bridgestone will take over from Hankook, which is the present tyre supplier for the single-seater electric racing championship.
-7739 second ago
Measures undertaken by Renault include complimentary road-side assistance, expedited insurance claim settlement and extended working hours at service centres.
-6078 second ago
The imminent plan to deploy charging stations was shared by the chairman of the Adani Group Gautam Adani.
-4428 second ago
Owners can avail of these services until December 31, 2023.
4 minutes ago
Special services also include complimentary towing, expedited insurance claims and repairs, and special offers on new vehicles in case the car is a total loss.
33 minutes ago
The S1 X+ comes with a 3 kWh battery pack and has a claimed range of up to 151 km.
15 hours ago
The latest iteration gets a slew of updated features and mechanical upgrades.
17 hours ago
The brand is offering free service support through its dealer network in Chennai and other affected areas.
6 years ago
The Volvo V90 Cross Country has been launched in India at a price of Rs. 60 lakh. It is the first luxury crossover station wagon to have been launched in India.
6 years ago
Volvo Cross Country is set to be launched in India today and we are bringing you the live updated from the launch event here. A lot of things, specifically in terms dimensions, styling and features, on the Volvo V90 Cross Country, are quite similar to the S90 sedan.
6 years ago
Volvo Auto India is all set to bring a very different and interesting offering with the V90 Cross Country on 12th July 2017. While estate or station wagons may not be highly desired in India, the Swedish carmaker is aiming to change that with its slightly raised derivative that provides the impeccable practicality of an estate, the luxury of a sedan and the ground clearance of an SUV.
6 years ago
Sensing an opportunity in the market for a multi purpose vehicle that wasnt van-like, Volvo decided to take its V70 station wagon, raise it a bit with some chunkier suspension, install all-wheel-drive and some plastic clad bumpers and voila! the V70 Cross Country was born. In fact, the XC nomenclature that we have come to associate Volvo with today was originally used for the first time on the V70 Cross Country (X-Cross and C-Country). That was in 1997. Fast-forward 20 years to 2017, and Volvo has decided to update its model portfolio and the Cross Country badging is now offered on the V9
7 years ago
There is no mistaking about it but Volvo is on a roll at the moment. The Swedish company recently launched the stunning XC90 T8 Hybrid in India and now it took the wraps off the V90 Cross Country, the burly version of the V90 Estate.