Ducati first introduced its Monster range 25 years ago, in 1992. And now, the Italian marquee has taken the wraps off the 2018 model year of the Monster 821. It is not a new-generation model, mind you, but it does get a bunch of upgrades over the current-gen model. Currently, the Ducati Monster range has three models, which are the entry-level 797, the new Monster 821 and the top-spec Monster 1200. Ducati has temporarily discontinued the sale of the Monster 821 in India as it did not meet the BS IV emission norms and with the new Monster 821 already showcased, we believe that the company will get the updated Monster 821 to India in the first few months of 2018 or possibly, even earlier. Here is everything that you need to know about the new Ducati Monster 821.
Also Read: 2018 Ducati Monster 821 Revealed
- The 2018 Ducati Monster 821 gets a new bright yellow colour, which is homage of sorts to the original Monster 900 that made its debut in 1992. The new Monster also gets a new headlamp which is full LED, making the naked sport bike look better than before. As a means of sticking to the strict Euro IV emission norms, the bike also gets a side-mounted double barrel exhaust, which in our opinion looks cooler than the exhaust on the previous model.
- The other changes include a new TFT instrumentation screen which now has a fuel gauge and a gear position indicator as well. The fuel tank too gets a subtle re-design along with the rear section of the bike, which is reminiscent of the first-gen Monster.
- The bike gets the same 821 cc L-twin Testatretta engine which is liquid-cooled and makes 108 bhp at 9,250 rpm and 86 Nm at 7,750 rpm. Of course, the engine is now Euro IV compliant and will be ready to meet the BS IV emission norms in India as well. The engine is mated to a 6-speed manual gearbox with a Ducati Quickshifter.
- In terms of electronics, the 2018 Monster 821 gets the Ducati Safety Pack, which includes 3-step ABS, 8-step traction control along with three riding modes and three power modes.
- The 2018 Ducati Monster 821 has a claimed fuel efficiency of 18.51 kmpl.