F1 2017: Honda And Sauber Cancel Engine Deal For 2018 Season

- The deal originated earlier this year and was inked by Monisha Kaltenborn
- Honda only supplies engines to McLaren which to could pull out in 2018
- Sauber said it will announce its new engine supplier shortly
Honda Motor Co. and Sauber F1 Team have announced that its engine supply deal for Formula 1 engines in 2018 has been called off. The Japanese manufacturer in a statement said that the technological partnership was "no longer in place" with the Swiss team, due to the differences in the future direction of Honda and Sauber, recognised during the preparation process for power unit supply systems.
The project was put together by Honda Motorsport's Masashi Yamamoto and Sauber's former team principal Monisha Kaltenborn, after an initial proposal originated from the latter. However, after Kaltenborn's departure in June this year ahead of the Azerbaijan GP, it was rumoured that the deal would be called off due to the difference in direction between both parties.
Also Read: Sauber F1 Announces Frederic Vasseur As New Team Principal

Sauber could move to new Mercedes engines or continue with long time associate Ferrari
Commenting on the cancellation, Honda Motor Sports Division, General Manager said, "We had built a good relationship with Sauber, and had been looking forward to entering the 2018 F1 season together. However, during discussions after management changes at the team, we reached a mutual agreement to call-off the project due to differences in the future directions of both parties. We would like to thank Sauber for their cooperation, and wish them all the best for their future.
Meanwhile, Sauber F1 Team Principal, Frederic Vasseur said, "It is very unfortunate that we have to discontinue the planned collaboration with Honda at this stage. However, this decision has been made for strategic reasons, and with the best intent for the future of the Sauber F1 Team in mind. We would like to thank Honda for their collaboration, and wish them all the best for their future in Formula One."
With the partnership now cancelled, this could mean the end for Honda in Formula 1. The automaker currently supplies its power units to only McLaren in the sport, and that too has been plagued with poor reliability and performance issues. If speculations are to be believed, McLaren won't renew its deal with Honda either for the 2018 season due to its sluggish units. This means the British outfit is likely to move to Renault for new engines, considering Ferrari and Mercedes aren't interested in supplying the team with engines.

McLaren has been plagued with poor reliability and loss of power from the Honda engines
Sauber could now be moving to engines from Mercedes or its long term associate Ferrari. The team has been using Ferrari power units for the longest time now, but retained the last year's units for this season, which has seen a major slump in Sauber's performance over the season.
Honda concluded its statement for Sauber saying, "Despite this announcement, Honda's passion for motorsports and strong commitment to Formula One remains unchanged." Meanwhile, Sauber has said that the "new engine partner will be announced shortly."
Latest News
car&bike Team | May 23, 2026BMW M 1000 RR Isle of Man TT Edition Revealed: Limited To 115 UnitsThe M 1000 RR Isle of Man TT Edition has been unveiled to mark the 115th running of the legendary road race.2 mins read
car&bike Team | May 23, 20262026 Tata Tiago Facelift Interior RevealedTata Motors has revealed the redesigned cabin of the 2026 Tiago ahead of its May 28 launch.1 min read
Seshan Vijayraghvan | May 22, 2026BMW X6 M60i xDrive Coupe SUV Bookings Open Ahead Of LaunchThe BMW X6 coupe SUV returns to India after 3 years, and like before, the coupe SUV will arrive as a completely built-up unit (CBU).1 min read
Jaiveer Mehra | May 22, 20262026 Honda City Facelift Price, Variants ExplainedThe 2026 City facelift adds a new top variant, along with cosmetic updates and new features.1 min read
Amaan Ahmed | May 22, 2026Honda ZR-V Hybrid SUV Debuts In India; Deliveries Start In July 2026Honda's first-ever hybrid SUV for India has a certified fuel efficiency figure of 22.80 kmpl.3 mins read
Carandbike Team | May 22, 20262026 Honda City Facelift Launched In India; Prices Start At Rs. 12 LakhThe new Honda City gets sharper looks, premium styling, and new feature additions.3 mins read
Preetam Bora | May 23, 20262026 Harley-Davidson X440T Road Test Review: Did Harley Just Fix Everything?We spent a few days with the Harley-Davidson X440T to understand if Harley-Davidson India has managed to fix all the shortcomings of the standard X440!1 min read
Janak Sorap | May 20, 2026Norton Manx R First Ride Review: Brit Superbike Killer?The Norton Manx R is not just another 200 bhp superbike chasing lap times — it is a motorcycle that tries to bring character, exclusivity and real-world usability back into the superbike experience.8 mins read
car&bike Team | May 20, 2026Axor Brutale Surges Dual Spoiler Helmet Review: Best Of Both WorldsThe Axor Brutale Surges Dual Spoiler Helmet promises a strong mix of everyday comfort and track-focused safety. But does it? Let's find out.5 mins read
Preetam Bora | May 11, 20262026 Suzuki Burgman Street 125 Review: What’s Good, What’s Not?The new Suzuki Burgman Street 125 gets refreshed design, minor but meaningful tweaks to the engine, a stiffened chassis, new features and more. But is it worth recommending? Read on, to find out.8 mins read
Bilal Firfiray | May 11, 2026Audi SQ8 Review: The Performance SUV That Actually Makes SenseThe Audi SQ8 has the performance of a V8 seamlessly combined with the everyday luxury and comfort, making it one of the most complete performance SUVs on sale in India today.5 mins read























































































































