Nissan, Renault Plan India Reboot With $600 Million Investment In New Models
2 mins read
Published on February 27, 2023
Nissan Motor Co and Renault SA will invest $600 million to make six new models in India, one of three markets in which the two automakers plan to coordinate closely in a revamped alliance announced last week.
The investment, planned over a period of three to five years, will fund the development of two electric models and four sport-utility vehicles (SUVs) for sale in India and abroad, Nissan's chief operating officer Ashwani Gupta told reporters in New Delhi.
Nissan and Renault are making a renewed push into India, which has overtaken Japan to become the world's third-largest car market but where the pair lag the likes of Suzuki Motor and Hyundai Motor.
"This investment is very significant not only on products but on technologies like EVs to really capture the growing Indian market," Nissan chief operating officer Ashwani Gupta told reporters.
Industry-wide sales in India surged 23% last year to 4.4 million light vehicles, the fastest growth of any major auto market, according to S&P Global Mobility, with electric vehicle (EV) sales also building momentum.
Nissan and Renault said they would each make three new models in India, built on joint platforms with components and engineering shared between designs.
They will cross-badge the models, Reuters reported earlier this month, even though that risks a Nissan version of a vehicle cannibalising sales of the Renault equivalent or vice-versa.
However, Gupta said there is room for the carmakers to share the space and demonstrate competitiveness in the market place.
The first of the new models will be launched in 2025 and be made at the pair's underutilised car plant at Chennai in southern India, where they also have a research and development centre.
Nissan's majority stake of 70% in the plant, which can produce about 500,000 vehicles a year, will be reduced to 51% as part of the ovehauled deal, leaving Renault with 49%
Last year Renault sold 87,000 locally produced vehicles in India and Nissan just 35,000, with pair accounting for around 3% of the local market.
Unlike Nissan, Renault does not have a significant presence China, the United States and Japan, raising the stakes for its success in India.
Last Updated on February 27, 2023
Great Deals on Used CarsView All Used Cars
- 53,232 km
- 9,800 km
- 46,630 km
- 17,459 km
- 29,000 km
- 48,262 km
- 32,400 km
- 85,500 km
- 73,810 km
- 72,000 km
-5830 second ago
The new video shows the subcompact SUV’s redesigned tail section and confirms that it will get ADAS functions
-3060 second ago
The Mercedes-AMG CLE 53 4MATIC+ Coupe has an upgraded 3.0-litre inline six-cylinder turbo engine producing 442 bhp and 560 Nm torque.
1 hour ago
The Swift will be powered by a 1.2 litre, 3-cylinder petrol engine that puts out 81 bhp and 108 Nm of torque
1 hour ago
The Revuelto is powered by a 6.5 litre V12 engine mated to three electric motors that churn out a combined 1001 bhp
2 hours ago
Kia India takes the wraps off its new EV charging initiative, the K-Charge. It will be available to non-Kia EV owners as well.
2 hours ago
Milestone was reached about 7 years after the plant commenced operations in February 2017.
3 hours ago
Hero MotoCorp and Ather Energy come together to form a partnership for an inter-operable fast-charging network in India.
Kawasaki is offering discount vouchers on the Vulcan S, Ninja 400, Ninja 650 and Versys 650 in its lineup with benefits going up to Rs. 60,000
India-spec compact SUV to get a different design from the model sold in global markets.
FADA reports that retail sales for automobiles in India were at an all-time high, with 28.54 lakh vehicles sold, surpassing 25.69 lakh vehicles sold in March 2020, when the industry transitioned from BS4 to BS6.
28 days ago
The carmakers announced the new Alliance Agreement has come into force with effect from November 8, 2023.
4 months ago
In total, 20 Renault and Nissan models have been manufactured at the Oragadam plant over the last 13 years.
4 months ago
Renault and Nissan reaffirmed their commitment to India operations through new investments and vehicles, including EVs.
5 months ago
Former Alliance chairman maintains his innocence and states he will dedicate all his time necessary to prove it.
9 months ago
Renault-Nissan Alliance has announced that it will invest up to Rs. 5,300 crore in India, and will launch four compact SUVs and two small EVs over the next few years.