MotoGP: Yamaha Announce Van der Mark As Rossi's Replacement At Aragon

- Rossi is out of action following a motocross accident on August 31
- This will be Van der Mark's first time on a MotoGP bike
- Valentino Rossi is expected to take about a month for recovery
Yamaha has announced that WorldSBK rider Michael van der Mark will be replacing Valentino Rossi for the next round of MotoGP at Aragon. Following Rossi's motocross accident on August 31 causing fractures, the former world champion had to skip the San Marino Grand Prix and Yamaha chose to enter only one rider in the race. However, since Rossi won't be fit enough to ride at Aragon, the team came to decision to bring van der Mark on board, who will be riding Rossi's YZF-M1.
In a statement, Yamaha said that "Rossi is making good progress with his rehabilitation process, but isn't expected to be able to compete again before the Grand Prix of Japan at Motegi in October."
With Rossi's recovery to take about a month or so, it was unclear if the Yamaha rider would make it back to the track for the next round. Nevertheless, Yamaha had shortlisted four riders from its existing lot,of which 24-year-old Van der Mark will be taking up the top job.

(Michael van der Mark has been the 2012 European Superstock 600 champion)
Speaking on making his MotoGP debut, Michael van der Mark said, "I'm excited to be given the opportunity to ride the YZR-M1 at the Aragon MotoGP round. I've never ridden a MotoGP bike before, so this will be a completely new experience for me. I'm very curious to see what it feels like to ride on such a machine. I realise that it won't be easy going straight into an official practice session without any prior testing. Nevertheless, I'm very grateful to Yamaha for the opportunity. I'm sure it will be a great learning experience."
The WorldSBK rider will be making his MotoGP debut with Rossi's usual crew, and it will be his first time on a MotoGP bike. Unfortunately, Van der Mark won't have a chance of prior testing before making his debut. Nevertheless, the three-time Suzuka 8 Hour winner is well accustomed to the demands of working for a factory team. He has also competed in seven 125 cc Grands Prix in 2010, and in the 2011 Moto2 race in Assen, and is no stranger to a MotoGP paddock.

(Rossi is presently 42 points adrift from championship leaders Marquez and Dovizioso)
Yamaha Motor Racing - Managing Director, Lin Jarvis said, "It being virtually impossible for Valentino to be fit to race in Aragon, Yamaha decided to search for a capable replacement from within its own pool of contracted riders. Having previously used Katsuyuki Nakasuga to fill in for Jorge Lorenzo in 2011 and Alex Lowes to replace Bradley Smith in 2016, we decided that Michael van der Mark should have the opportunity this time around."
Adding further, he said, "It is never easy to step in to replace another rider and even more difficult to replace Valentino Rossi, but we believe that Michael has all the credentials and experience to do a good job. We will give him our very best support and wish him every success for this exciting opportunity. We also hope that Valentino will continue to make a rapid recovery and that we will see him again, back on his YZR-M1, on the earliest possible occasion."
Yamaha decided not to replace Rossi at the San Marino Grand Prix, but for the Aragon round the team is obliged to enter two riders. As Marc Marqueaz and Andrea Dovizioso are tied up for points at the top, Rossi's absence at Misano has pushed him back by 42 points with five races left for this season.
Latest News
car&bike Team | Feb 19, 2026KTM 390, 250 Adventure Offered With Free Accessories And 10-Year Extended WarrantyThis limited-run scheme is offered until February 28 on both motorcycles.2 mins read
Jaiveer Mehra | Feb 19, 2026Volkswagen Tayron Launched In India at Rs 46.99 LakhThe Tayron is essentially the successor to the now-discontinued Tiguan Allspace and features three rows of seating.1 min read
car&bike Team | Feb 19, 2026Hyundai Exter Facelift Spied In South KoreaThe Exter facelift was spotted testing in India earlier this year.2 mins read
Bilal Firfiray | Feb 19, 2026Tata Punch EV Facelift To Be Launched Tomorrow: What To Expect?Launched in 2024, the Punch EV is due for a major update. And more than cosmetic changes, it will have some skin-deep updates too.1 min read
car&bike Team | Feb 18, 2026Kia Seltos Achieves 6 Lakh Unit Sales MilestoneThe Seltos was Kia’s first product in India, having been launched in August 2019.2 mins read
Bilal Firfiray | Feb 18, 2026Maruti Suzuki e-Vitara Full Price List Revealed, Starts At Rs 15.99 LakhYesterday, the BaaS (battery as a service) pricing was out. Now Maruti has given the non-BaaS pricing of the all-new e-Vitara2 mins read
Jaiveer Mehra | Feb 18, 2026New BMW X3 30 Vs Mercedes-Benz GLC 300: Midsize Luxury SUV FaceoffWith the new X3 30, BMW has a direct competitor to the petrol GLC 300, but which is the luxury SUV for you?1 min read
Jafar Rizvi | Feb 15, 2026Maruti Suzuki Victoris: Long-Term Review - Report 1The Victoris is Maruti’s latest offering for the Indian market, and after spending some time with it, here are a few early impressions.1 min read
Bilal Firfiray | Feb 12, 2026BMW X3 30 xDrive M Sport Review: The Driver’s SUV ReturnsRange-toppingX3 30 xDrive M Sport brings back the fun with 255bhp and genuine enthusiast appeal. Does this performance-focused SUV stand out?5 mins read
Bilal Firfiray | Feb 11, 2026Mercedes-AMG CLE 53 Coupe Review: The Goldilocks AMG?The Mercedes-AMG CLE 53 Coupe is a concoction of hooliganistic performance and everyday usability. Here’s why this Rs 1.5 crore two-door AMG might be the perfect modern sports coupe for India.6 mins read
Girish Karkera | Feb 11, 2026Toyota Ebella EV Review: Compact And Fun-To-Drive With The Promise Of Stress-Free AftersalesNo hiding the fact that it is a clone of the Maruti Suzuki eVitara, but the first all-electric Toyota in India is reasonably well-rounded8 mins read

















































































































