Volkswagen Tiguan SUV: 10 Things You Need To Know
By Carandbike Team
2 mins read
Published on May 23, 2017
- India is getting the 2nd generation Volkswagen Tiguan
- The VW Tiguan was first shown in India at the 2016 Auto Expo
- The Tiguan goes up against Ford Endeavour and Toyota Fortuner
Volkswagen Tiguan, the long-awaited SUV from the German automaker is finally ready to be launched in India tomorrow. While it was the Touareg SUV that first came to our country, declining sales forced Volkswagen India to discontinue the model in 2013. But, the past few years have shown us that there is a growing trend for SUVs in India, and Volkswagen feels that this is the right time to introduces the Tiguan. We first saw the SUV in India last year back at the 2016 Auto Expo and drove the global-spec version a few months later and now the India-spec model as well. The VW Tiguan SUV's production is already underway in India and we are quite eager to drive the India-spec model as well. Before that, here are 10 things that we already know about the new Volkswagen Tiguan SUV.
- This is the first time the Tiguan model is coming to India. The company will launch the SUV tomorrow on the 24th of May 2017 and bookings are already open across VW dealerships in India.
- The Tiguan is the first SUV to come out of Wolfsburg on the modular transverse matrix 'MQB' platform
- The exterior design of the car takes inspiration from both the Golf and the Passat, two of the most popular VW cars in Europe.
- The second-generation Volkswagen Tiguan, which we are getting in India, is 60 mm longer and 30 mm wider and sits 33 mm lower than its predecessor.
- The new Volkswagen Tiguan has also shed some weight and now weighs 50kg less than before thanks to the new MQB platform.
- The Volkswagen Tiguan will come powered by a 2-litre TDI diesel engine that is capable of churning 141 bhp and 340 Nm. The turbocharged motor will come mated to the company's tried and tested 7-speed DSG automatic unit. The petrol engine is not expected to come to India.
- Among the several in-car features the Tiguan will offer a 5-inch or a bigger 8-inch touchscreen display (depending on the variant) along with navigation, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, MirrorLink.
- Sadly, the India-spec Tiguan will miss out on the fifth-generation four-wheel drive 4Motion system that the global spec model gets.
- VW is taking aim at the likes of the Ford Endeavour, Toyota Fortuner and even the Chevrolet Trailblazer. However, Skoda too will enter the ring soon with the Kodiaq.
- Volkswagen will start assembling the car in India, by this year; and while it wants to up the percentage of local content, on the car, the focus would be on the development of another SUV, on the platform.
Last Updated on May 23, 2017
Great Deals on Used CarsView All Used Cars
- 50,000 km
- 67,000 km
- 74,440 km
- 70,457 km
- 37,000 km
- 21,000 km
- 14,500 km
- 55,000 km
- 800 km
- 38,072 km
-18707 second ago
The Mercedes-Maybach GLS 600 was gifted to the actor by her husband, Vignesh Shivan on her birthday
-18640 second ago
Hyundai has presented the Ioniq 5 to Shah Rukh Khan to commemorate the 25-year-long association with the brand. It will be the first electric vehicle in his car collection.
-12297 second ago
13 hours ago
14 hours ago
18 hours ago
20 hours ago
This makes the S1 X+ Rs 30,000 cheaper than the S1 Air, priced at nearly 1.20 lakh
20 hours ago
1 day ago
1 day ago
12 days ago
Both Volkswagen Taigun and Virtus Sound Edition are based on Topline trims and get 1.0L TSI petrol engine with a choice between 6-speed manual and 6-speed torque converter
13 days ago
Both vehicles are expected to come with an upgraded audio system
22 days ago
How does the new kid on the block compare to some of the established players in the segment?
1 month ago
Unique to the latest GT Edge model are 16-inch black alloys, a contrast roof and trim-specific decals and leatherette seat covers.
1 month ago
Volkswagen India's network now comprises a total of 192 new and pre-owned sales outlets and 133 service touchpoints, covering 142 cities across the country