Honda Amaze Subcompact Sedan Crosses 5 Lakh Units Sales Milestone In India
- The Honda Amaze was first launched in 2013.
- Currently the Amaze in its second generations.
- Right now, the Amaze accounts for over 40 per cent of Honda's total sales.
Honda Cars India has announced achieving a new sales milestone as the Amaze subcompact sedan crosses the 5 lakh units milestone. First launched in 2013, the Amaze has been on sale in India for 9 years now, during which we have seen two generations of the car and a few facelifts. The Honda Amaze is currently the best-selling model in the company line-up, accounting for more than 40 per cent of the carmaker’s total monthly sales. At the same time, 60 per cent of the Amaze’s total sales come from tire 2 and tier 3 markets. Presently, it is also the most affordable Honda car in India, with prices starting at Rs. 6.63 lakh, going up to Rs. 11.50 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).
Speaking on the occasion Takuya Tsumura, President & CEO, Honda Cars India said, “It’s a proud moment for us to achieve 5 lakh sales milestone for Honda Amaze. We would like to thank our customers for the love and acceptance they have shown for the brand and to our partners for their continuous support. Honda Amaze is our strategic entry model in India and key pillar of our business. Its popularity and acceptance in both big and small cities are a testament that the premium sedan not only matches the customer needs, but also exceeds their expectations.”
The first-generation Honda Amaze was launched in 2013, and the car received a mid-life facelift in 2016.
The first-generation Honda Amaze was launched in 2013, and the car received a mid-life facelift in 2016. Later in 2018, Honda unveiled the second-gen Amaze at the Delhi Auto Expo, and subsequently launched the car the same year. And earlier this year, in 2022, Honda introduced a mid-life facelift for the second-gen Amaze. Both generations of the Honda Amaze have been offered in both petrol and diesel options.
While the petrol version of the Honda Amaze is powered by a 1.2-litre i-VTEC engine, the diesel option gets a 1.5-litre i-DTEC motor. Both come mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox, with the former also getting the choice of a CVT automatic unit. In fact, Honda says that with the growing popularity of automatic transmission models among customers, the share of automatics in the Amaze has also progressively increased. The Amaze automatic variant, which used to account for 9 per cent of total sales at the time of initial introduction in 2013, have now gone up to over 30 per cent.
Between April and August 2022, 93 per cent sales of the Honda Amaze come from the petrol version.
As for the fuel mix trend, during the first year of its launch (FY 2013-14), diesel models accounted for 67 per cent, while the petrol variants contributed 33 per cent to its total sales. Later in FY 2018-19, after the second-gen model was launched, the contribution of petrol models rose to 72 per cent, while sale of diesel models fell to 28 per cent. And so far in FY 2023, between April and August 2022, 93 per cent sales of the Honda Amaze come from the petrol version, while the remaining 7 per cent comes from diesel variants.