Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India Pvt. Ltd. (HMSI) recently achieved a new milestone as the sales of the CB Shine motorcycle crossed 1 lakh in just one month. Honda CB Shine is not only India's number 1 selling 125cc motorcycle brand since 8 years but is also the company's largest-selling motorcycle in the world. While Honda sold over 7.5 lakh units of the popular 125 cc bike in India in FY 2016-17, the model's sales grew by an impressive 51 per cent from 66,691 units in April 2016 to 100,824 units in April 2017.
The Honda CB Shine's sales grew five times faster than 125cc motorcycle segment's growth of 8 per cent. This rise in sales has allowed Honda to further consolidate its segment leadership even further. The CB Shine, which currently leads the segment with 54 per cent market share, also gained a 15 per cent market share year on year (y-o-y) basis in April 2017. It is also the biggest brand within Honda's motorcycle line-up in India and contributes more than 55 per cent in the company's motorcycle sales. The record sales have also allowed Honda Two-Wheelers India to become the number 2 motorcycle brand in India for the first time in April'17.
Mr Yadvinder Singh Guleria, Senior Vice President - Sales and Marketing, Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India Pvt. Ltd., said, "With a legacy of more than one decade, CB Shine is the most important motorcycle brand in our line-up. Driven by continuous innovation, CB Shine brand alone contributes 55% to Honda's motorcycle sales. Such is the shine of the brand with Honda's high quality and reliability that today every second 125cc motorcycle customer in India is buying a CB Shine."
First launched in 2006, over 55 lakh units of the Honda CB Shine have been sold in the country till date. Here is a timeline of the model's journey in India:
- April 2006: Honda CB Shine launched in India with Optimax technology
- FY'2008-09: Becomes number 1 selling 125cc motorcycle in 2 years since its launch
- Oct 2010: 10 lakh units sold since launch
- FY'2013-14: Every third 125cc motorcycle sold in India is CB Shine (led by 33% market share)
- FY'2014-15: Sales grow 14% which is faster than 1% growth of 125cc motorcycle segment.
- Feb 2017: Becomes first 125cc motorcycle to reach 50 lakh unit sales milestone, BS-IV and AHO upgrade launched in CB Shine. Low Rolling Resistance tyre (patent applied for) technology introduced in CB Shine SP
- April 2017: Becomes the first 125cc motorcycle in India to sell over 1 lakh units in a single month