We had earlier reported that Toyota is launching a petrol variant of its top-selling MPV, Innova Crysta, in India. After Toyota launched the MPV in May, there were many speculations about the company working on a petrol version of the Innova Crysta to overcome the ban on 2000cc and above diesel vehicles in Delhi and NCR. All the speculations were put to rest after Toyota officially announced the arrival of the petrol trim earlier this month through its recent ad campaigns. This will now allow the Japanese carmaker to finally enter the high-grossing Delhi and NCR market with the Innova Crysta. With the launch nearing us, here are ten things that you need to know about the upcoming Toyota Innova Crysta petrol.
1) Toyota will launch the new Innova Crysta petrol in India in the month in August 2016. The company has already started accepting bookings for the vehicle across dealerships for an initial token amount of ₹ 1 lakh.
2) Toyota is launching a petrol version on the Innova Crysta mainly to sell the vehicle is Delhi and NCR. Considering both the diesel trims available in the new Innova Crysta are above 2000cc, the company needed a petrol variant to cater to the increasing demand for the vehicle in Delhi and NCR.
3) Another reason for Toyota introducing a petrol variant of the Innova Crysta is because the carmaker is seeing growing inclination of buyers towards petrol powered cars in the country. A major indication of this was that 85 per cent of the bookings for the Tata Tiago came for the petrol variant.
4) The Toyota Innova Crysta petrol will be powered by a new 2.7-litre Dual VVT-i petrol engine. The Indonesia-spec Innova Crysta, on the other hand, is powered by a 2.0-litre petrol engine that we were hoping to get instead.
5) The new 2.7-litre petrol unit was developed by Toyota at its R&D facility in Japan and it will be coming to India for the first time.
6) The new 2.7-litre petrol engine comes with power figures that are equally impressive to the diesel models. Reports claim that the new petrol-powered motor churns out a maximum of 164bhp and develops a peak torque of 245Nm. This places it right between the 145bhp 2.4-litre GD series diesel engine and the top-of-the-line 171bhp 2.8-litre GD series oil burner, which are currently offered with the Innova Crysta.
7) Like its diesel counterparts, the 2.4-litre and 2.8-litre oil burners that we reviewed earlier, once launched, the Innova Crysta petrol will also be the most powerful petrol-powered MPV in the segment.
8) Toyota will offer both manual and automatic version of the new Innova Crysta petrol. While the manual version will come with the five-speed gearbox, the automatic trim will get the 6-speed torque auto gearbox that does duty on the diesel variant. Which is good considering over 60 per cent bookings for the Innova Crysta are coming for the automatic variant.
9) Other than the new petrol engine, the upcoming Innova Crysta will receive no other change and will continue to offer the same features across the variants as the diesel trims.
10) Toyota hasn't officially announced the price of the Innova Crysta petrol yet, but we expect the company to launch the MPV at a starting price of ₹ 14.7 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).